Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettlerose

Herbs to grow in shade

nettlerose
20 years ago

I know most herbs love full sun, but I have a spot behind the mandarine tree which needs filling up. I would like to put herbs in and I know mint loves shade but it spreads too vigorously (unless someone knows of a variety that doesn't I would be interested). Maybe strawberries might do well as they naturally grow in woodlands.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Eve

Comments (14)

• Jamus_S
    20 years ago

Yes, the Alpine strawberry is a good one. Since you're in Canberra you should plant sweet cicely (Myrrhis odorata). That would be my first choice. Then Coltsfoot, Chameleon plant (Houttuynia cordata), what about Ajuga (not an eating herb but pretty), Pennyroyal is a member of the mint family that's nice in shady spots. They the groundcover Corsican mint, which is miniature and non-invasive.

That's a start

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

I never recommend anyone to grow pennyroyal, but Corsican mint is better-behaved than most of its rellies. Lemon Balm is a member of the mint family, and not always well behaved, but your cold winters might prevent it from becoming too, too bothersome. Other choices include Chervil, Sweet Cicely, Agrimony, Ginger, Sweet Woodruff, Angelica, Arrowroot, Ginseng, Violets and Pansies, Primrose, Cardamom, Lungwort, Galangal, Soapwort (in the less shaded areas). If it's dappled shape, chives and garlic chives, parsley, peppermint geranium. Coriander might do well in the spot if it's fairly cool. Ditto, rocket.

• Jamus_S
    20 years ago

What's wrong with pennyroyal. I love it

• Anna_B
    20 years ago

Out of Daisy's suggestions I would be wary of the soapwort. Lovely plant with pretty pink flowers....but unless you don't mind its spreading habit it behaves almost as badly as mint. The one I pulled out from a particular part of the garden several years ago is still sending up shoots. I still have it growing elsewhere where it makes a great groundcover.

• andy_sa
    20 years ago

Lemon balm does great in shade, but the cold doesn't seem to harm it. A new plant (to me) I'm trying this year is American dittany. It seems to like the shade and has a great peppermint smell without the spreading habit.

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

Pennyroyal has a nasty reputation for causing seizures in susceptible people (who may or may not be epileptic), and if it happens to a pregnant woman, she is likely to abort. Pregnant woman are warned to avoid pennyroyal at all costs, even smelling it. It is also known to cause seizures in some dogs. In many cases, the smell of it is enough! It doesn't happen to everyone of course, but I don't think the risk of growing it is worth it, and I wouldn't like to be held responsible for such things happening to any susceptible visitors of mine!

I agree with Ann that soapwort can get out of hand, if allowed to do so.

• kolanda
    20 years ago

Peenyroyal is also a weed in WA. Not sure about other states though, might not be so badly behaved over there.
    Peppermint geranium should do well in your shaded area and is very attractive with it's fuzzy leaves.

• Jamus_S
    20 years ago

I grow pennyroyal, I love the perfume. We're well aware that it's not edible. I also grow hemlock, tobacco, oleander, deadly nightshade, brugmansia etc... so there are a lot of MUCH more potentially fatal plants in my garden than innocent little pennyroyal. Of course we don't have dogs or kids.

• nettlerose
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks everyone for all that great advice.

I might give the corsican mint, the alpine strawberry, lemon balm, ajuga, parsley and chives a shot. There are some great suggestions here which I might use elsewhere in shaded spots in the garden. I also have a peppermint geranium (I think it is a peppermint as the leaf is highly scented) in a pot at the moment which will be moved to the bed. The protected site may help during winter when most geraniums turn up their feet here.

Thank you again.
    Eve

• rivermint
    20 years ago

Just an afterthought eve, I have great rhubarb growing in a spot that only gets a tiny bit of sun. Makes the stems grow long and lanky, but just as tasty. Or maybe a brambleberry on a stake. If you go for strawberries, give the heirloom white variety a try. I bought one last year and am going to plant up the runners if you would like one. They are super sweet and taste just like the red ones, however the BIRDS arent attracted to them at all - I lose most of my red crop each year. All the best! Jus.

• nettlerose
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Jus. I saw the white variety in the latest Diggers catalogue and they looked very interesting. Probably truer to the name 'straw' than the red ones.

The garden is all planted up now and it is funny you mention rhubarb, because I have it growing in the raised sleeper bed next to this area which is in lighter shade.

I put in Ajuga at the back in the heaviest shade so hopefully that will cover that spot well. I did put some strawberries in but they were the red ones, as well as continental parsley, comfrey, lemon thyme, garlic chives, solomon's seal at the back, mint, lemon balm, pineapple sage which had self sown and calendula. Some of the more sun loving ones are at the front.

• flytower_au
    20 years ago

Lemon Balm here in in South West Vic grows everywhere in the garden, self seeds and the cold bitter winds don't trouble it at all. On the other hand it is not fussy where it grows and fills odd corners and unexpected places very well. Quite difficult to pull out as it has very deep roots. Otherwise your planting sonds most decortative. Judie

• nettlerose
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Lemon balm is not too bad here. I think the Canberra cold knocks it back a bit although it does get a bit straggly. Your property sounds beautiful flytower, a dream come true.
    Eve

• alonagain_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Just wondering if anybody around Canberra has a lemon mint growing in their garden. I have been looking for ages and haven't been able to find one that has it? I would love to plant it as I love the scent of this plant/herb. Thanks in advance.

Alona

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert