SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mooquack

clay soil improvement advice sought

mooquack
18 years ago

Greetings,

I've done a bit of reading already about methods to try and improve the heavy clay soil I have in my yard so I'm not totally blind to the various options. However, I am wondering whether my soil is just too heavy for improvements to work.

I dug a hole, for example, to plant a new tree recently. The hole was 3 feet diameter by 2 feet deep because I was trying to ensure the hole was twice the size of the rootball. It was getting pretty tough-going so I filled the hole with water and left it for an hour so that the water would soak in and I could finish off the rest of the digging. Out of interest, I marked the height of the water with a small stick at the surface level. When I returned an hour later, the water level had dropped less than 1cm so clearly it was a bowl rather than a hole. The hole had not been left slick-sided by the shovel, in case you're thinking that might have been the problem - I made sure I punched divots in the wall with a pick before filling it with water.

Has anyone tried to improve soil this heavy before? Any luck? I know there's an option to raise garden beds but I also want some taller plants will will require soil improvements as well...

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions