Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesleygrhm

How to get geraniums to flower?

lesleygrhm
18 years ago

A question I should have added is we have one geranium which has only a couple of flowers and another has plenty, is there any way of helping them flower? They are side by side in pots. Also which name is politically correct? Geraniums or Pelagoniums?

Thanks Lesley

Comments (10)

• trancegemini_wa
    18 years ago

I usually dont have any problem with them as long they get enough sunshine, but some of the pelargoniums flower more freely than others Ive found.

as far as the name goes, there are geraniums and also pelargoniums, theyre closely related but two different plants. most of the ones we grow are pelargoniums from south africa, whereas geraniums are more tolerant of cold climates which the pelargoniums wont cope with. I *think* and im sure someone will correct me, that the proper geraniums come from colder climates in europe?

• meggs
    18 years ago

Geraniums grow in Australia as well as do pelargoniums in colder climates in Europe. In Northern Europe they keep pelargoniums in glass houses in winter, however, in summer they plant them out. Most windowboxes in Germany are planted with all kinds of pelargoniums. Summers in Europe can be also very hot the only thing they are pretty short. Greniums, on the other hand grow in shade, need more water and the flowers are in shades of purple. The main known and grown geranium is cranesbill.

• Old_West_Aussie
    18 years ago

I had some gerberas that refused to flower, I gave them to my next door neighbour and they flowered non stop. Same soil, same conditions. I can still enjoy the blooms over the fence...

Bazza

• bookpert
    18 years ago

Geraniums grow wild in Europe, sometimes in rugged condiitons. Based on this I believe they don't need much fertilisers but I agree they do need sun.Having said that I established some cuttings late summer, gave them some fertiliser a few mths later & I noticed some buds recently. I suppose once the weather warms up, it wont get any more feed. Good luck.

• Jan_Willem_John
    18 years ago

I use some liquid fertiliser every 2 weeks.
    JWB
    {{gwi:2114323}}

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

I water mine about once a month, and never fertilise them and they bloom like crazy.
    Work that one out, it must be the Sun up here...MM.

• Sparaxis
    18 years ago

Old plants like to be cut back severely. It is probably best to establish new plants from cuttings every few years. They are a colder climate plant but do not like the frost. I believe they do not need much fertiliser.

• Amir Eghbal
    8 years ago

I grew some freed seed and there are no signs of flowering yet. Not sure what to do. I put some messages on growing from seed section but no response. Some people say fertilize it, some say don't.

• Louise Stroup
    5 years ago

The geraniums I have were a gift and will try to keep them going but only have 3-4hours afternoon sun so may be fighting loosing battle. Grew them very successfully before moved with little work but in pretty much full filtered sun. Guess they were happy with that. Think?