Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand Polinating

Posted by nod123 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 22:56

I have the first batch of Flannel Flower about to burst into bloom and they are a long way from their home territory. I am in SE Qld

To make sure the flower heads are pollinated as I want to harvest the seeds I thought I might do this manually. Does anyone know what technique I should use ?

Probably have only 4 or 5 mature flowers at any one time so have to be sure of what I am doing.

Regards
Nod

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand Polinating

Nod, I can't really "google up" anything of use, other than that they are pollinated by insects - (what a surprise).
If you want to search a bit yourself the botanical name is Actinotus helianthi. I grew up in Sydney on the south side where they were then common enough in the sandy bush around our area, congrats on trying them up here.
I should just use a soft paintbrush (kids art brush style) to try to move pollen from one flower to another, both mornings and afternoons, just tickle round and see what happens.
I do read though that propagation from seed is a bit sporadic though cuttings sometimes work and now they are tissue culturing it (there, you may have a purpose to go further with that).
Since they are being trialed for the cut-flower industry most of writings seem to be slanted that way - I found an article by the australian government on commercial propagation but can't seem to post the link.

o

Thanks Alison, I will search further myself. I tried cuttings. Probably didn't try too hard but found I was successful with seeds.

The plants have to be 3 years now and soon to flower. I intend posting photographs and reporting on the process of getting them to that stage for anyone who might be inclined.

Probably a week or two.

Nod

o

Nice to see you've had some success with them, Nod. I haven't tried them where I am (NSW Northern Rivers).
B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here