SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
archades

Advice on shrubs with multi-coloured flowers for FNQ

archades
9 years ago

I need some plant suggestions for Far North Queensland wet tropics where we get 4-5M of rain per year. Had a bit of disappointment hearing that many of the rhododendrons are hard to grow here and are for colder climates and a few of the other flowering shrubs that look nice.

Might be a very long shot but I am looking for some 1-2m tall, maybe a lil bigger but preferably smallish garden shrubs with flowers with 2-3 colours mixed. I usually find solid single colour flowers a lil boring. Would also prefer them to flower quite regularly, not once a year for a few days and then have to wait for another year.

The type of colouring I like is seen on many orchids, Weigela florida, Rhododendrons, pansies, violas, hibiscus, etc. Some of my favourites are yellow/orange centers with white petals with hot pink edges, white with purple mixed like some of the pansies especially with the stains of colours in the ridges? Would like to stick to quite bold and even "fluoro"/vivid pinks, oranges, reds, purples, and blues. Also prefer flowers at least as big as a 50cent piece, not a fan of the really small flowers.

Would also prefer easier trees to manage too if possible. I was told the Rhododendron Viraya took quite a bit of effort so I am holding off on that one.

Thanks

Comments (7)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA
More Discussions