Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to renew a veggie patch

Posted by eldiez none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 2:41

Hi all

I've recently just moved into a new place with an existing veggie patch that the previous owners left behind.

This veggie patch still looks quite fertile with some bok choy, berries and other stuff growing, but I was wondering what I'd have to do to get rid of all the existing plantings and use the patch to plant a bunch of herbs instead.

I was thinking I'd need to dig up all the existing soil, then put a layer of new soil on top with the herb seedlings.. does this sound like I'm on the right track? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to renew a veggie patch

You wouldn't necessarily need to put a new layer of soil on top of the old. But you'd need to get the old plants out to prevent them growing again and out competing your herbs. Generally herbs need a very well drained soil so you might need to do something in that regard if the old soil has become heavier.

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 20:33

You have asked a very wide question, so it is difficult to answer. Where are you (state will do) and what sort of herbs are you talking about?
Chives, Basil, Rosemary, Sage, Mint......?
Agree with Tropicbreeze, It is probably not necessary to add new soil. Dig what is there thoroughly, Add some Lime, Dig it in. Water thoroughly. Leave it for a month or two and dig it again (this process should get rid of weeds and whatever was in the bed).
Some herbs might do better in containers.....

o

Thanks for the advice,

I'm in NSW and planning to grow some coriander, parsley and rosemary

o

• Posted by arthurm Sydney, NSW AUST (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:28

I think you will find that Rosemary is best grown in a pot. What sort of Parsley? Italian (flat leaf) if allowed to seed will never need to be replaced, just dig and compost the plants you do not want.
Never tried Coriander or curley leaf Parsley.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here