Hoping for an ID please

Posted by nod123 A E Qld (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 3:04

My mistake, sorry

This post was edited by nod123 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 3:39

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoping for an ID please

Crossandra infundibuliformis, what a mouthful! A really delightful colourful plant

o

Thanks Alison, your good.

See if I can grow this from seed.

Nod

o

Yes, crossandra infundibuliformis, also sometimes referred to as the 'Firecracker plant' on account of its habit of exploding the seeds from their capsules with a slight crack during rain or when watering. A pretty thing in flower on display in Bunnings where I bought it 3 or 4 seasons ago, and when the flowers were spent I was amazed at the way it distributed its seed - by a slight explosion, a crack as the pods burst open and scattered the seeds up to 2 metres or more whenever it rained or when I watered with the hose. The next season the bloomin' things were coming up everywhere and the following season again they were outstripping the weeds! Through this last spring/ summer I've been pulling them out from gardens far and wide from the original planting, even from deep underneath dense bushes and even today, the beginning of winter, I yanked out a few more. Sorry folks, I regard it as a weed, a pretty weed but a weed nevertheless that takes constant vigilance to eradicate.
B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here