Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crazy paving path

Posted by wishful Qld Australia (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 6:01

I want a crazy paving path for my main path to the front door. I've been doing the rounds of gardening centres and tile places and have the following problems

a) I can't afford anything they've got!!
b) they really don't have much on offer - I don't want black slate, and I don't want pale cream/concrete coloured sandstone. I want a stone/rock that varies in colour from cream through to dark brown, with lots of variation in between. And I want RANDOM size/shape pavers - not rectangles! This was pretty common 20 years ago - why can't I find it now?

Has any one got any ideas where I can source something like this CHEAPLY in Brisbane?

I managed to get about 3 cubic metres of crushed granite for free, so I have a base about 10cm deep. One day soon I'll hire the whacker packer!! I know that I should probably set the pavers in a bed of concrete, but I don't have the money, and it's not something I feel I can do on my own. So my plan is to just lay the pavers on the deco, and put a sand or sand/concrete mixture between them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crazy paving path

What about pressed, coloured concrete? It can look very nice and is relatively cheap. You can have whatever shape you like if they have the moulds.
Slate for paving costs the earth these days, and sandstone is generally too soft. If there are no quarries in your area, then much of the cost is in freight. We have incorporated stone into our brick paving, and had the sandstone cappings for the wall brought out from india. The cost of labour for the hand hewn edging was something like $1 per hour in India, compared with $60 per hour in Australia. We have waited 12 weeks for it to be delivered.
The stone cost was $60 per square metre - even 30cm thick, plus cutting costs - cut to our specifications, plus delivery.
Our stone came from the following link. I thought it would be mostly local stone, but they import a lot from india. The problem these days is the cost has risen to meet the demand for stone for walls, houses, paving etc. It used to be cheap but everyone wants it now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyrenees Quarry

o

I went to the tip and grabbed a lot of paving that had been lifted from the footpath and broke it up into smaller bits to created a crazy path. Actually just bedded them in sand and cemented the bits together. Looks OK though.

o

thanks sparaxis and lomatia for the ideas.

I'll do some more investigation and see if I can find a local stone place similar to the one you mentioned. and I'll also start haunting the tip.

does anyone know if an outdoors slate path would need to be sealed, or otherwise protected from the weather?

o

Pyrenees Quarry said plenty of people seal them the first year, and never bother after that. Our stone looks quite OK unsealed, so we aren't going to seal it. I guess it really depends how much wear it is getting.

o

it would be exposed to the weather, and even though it is a 'front' path, it wouldn't actually get much foot traffic - most people just use the back door!

o

Hi Wishful, if you feel like a nice drive go up to Noela's Wedding Gardens at Beerburrum. Noela's got a fantastic crazy path made from old concrete with mini mondo in between.
The concrete came from a shopping centre reno, she just asked the people lifting it if she could have it.
The gardens are on 8 acres and well worth a look.
cheers ree

o

I second (or is it third) the idea of the broken concrete. I have seen it too and it looks fabulous. I am not really a lover of concrete, but somehow when it is broken up like that (especially with the greenery in between) it takes on a totally different look!
Cheers,
Dee.

o

thanks for the idea - I wouldn't normally go to Beerburrum just to look at a path, but I might put the kids in the car and go for a drive one day in the holidays

o

Before and after my short 'concrete path' to the tap. The edges have been softened and hidden by small perennials.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here