Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have no sun

Posted by blue105 Brisbane, Qld (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 21:43

In serious need of help.
I have a north facing garden that gets absolutely no sun from april/september, then gets full sun sept/march.
The builder has planted Hibiscus along the fence line but they are not doing well.
I have spoken to plant nurserys but they cannot offer any good advice.
What can I plant there to block my neighbours view and looks nice, I need some plants/scrubs to grow at least 2-3 metres high for some privacy,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have no sun

Wish we had web-cam on these forums! Would be great to have an actual look at the area.
Firstly, what blocks off your sun over winter?
Secondly, I suppose, what's the dividing fence made of and how high is it?
3rd how much set-back is there from the fence to the next permanent structure - such as the house.
4 is there a pool in the back yard, or any other reason that taller shrubs could create a problem.
5 is the privacy your main concern or are you looking for shade as well.
Some photos really would help if you are able to post?

o

In reply to your 5 points
1. The house next door as the sun moves north for our winter.
2. Timber fence 8 feet tall
3. set back is 2m, its my side passage
4. no pool justv want high plants to block view from nose neighbour as his property is higher than mine.
5. privacy is main concern
Hope this helps.

o

Blue my first thought is Sheena's Gold. It is the most vigorous plant we have in our yard. Needs pruning three times a year.

Admittedly ours get a lot of sun but I get the impression that it would grow in shade also. Others may like to comment further on this.

Nod

o

What are you trying to screen off on your side - windows or an entertainment area and ground level or higher?
How high is the neighbour's place in comparison? S mean, single level but higher, or 2 story looking down?
Plants are not always the answer as they aren't an instant fix. They take time to grow - sometimes years to reach the height you want.
Meanwhile, what goes up needs to go down - a root system that may prove invasive if you have pipes and such.
What goes up also sometimes goes out - requiring pruning on both your side and the neighbour's (if planted along the boundary).
I'm only wondering if there is something more "instant" you could do - in terms of hanging baskets on your side, or some sort of window shades or shade-screen on your side? Or a trellis within your passage area that would allow plants to grow up faster?

o

Sorry, and I meant to say, go talk to your local council and find out whatever rules might apply - and whether you are free to do certain things to put up a screen without approvals.

o

blue 105, can you take a photo and post it so we can see what you are up against? Soil might also be a problem.
B.

o

I reckon bamboo would do it.
It has a shallow root system, it's sun tolerant, shade tolerant and it grows really fast if you give it a regular dose of slow release fertiliser.
You can get lots of different types, plenty of which are the clumping, non-invasive types. Some of them are really interesting-looking too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here