Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill pyrostegia venusta

Posted by rossnroller Perth, WA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 21:13

Hi folks. We have a pyrostegia venusta vine that we want to get rid of. We've cut it down to ground level, but it's developed great thick subterranean roots that have spread along an area near a dividing fence of about 8 metres. I have no idea how far they go down, but it looks like a hell of a job to dig them up.

The bits that are still above ground keep sprouting new growth, which I keep cutting off. I have searched on the web, and it seems Garlon is the herbicide that will do the job, but it sounds like nasty stuff. I don't even know if it's publicly available here.

Does anyone have any tried and true tips on how to kill this thing, please? If I have to use herbicides, I will. Just wanted to see what recommendations might be out there.

Cheers
Ross

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill pyrostegia venusta

Yes, I had that problem, I planted the damn thing along the front fence and it just took off. I (paint) brushed every cut I made in it close to ground level with a neat brush-full of Zero 500 - a double dose of glyphosate; a 500 strength (against the normal 250). Do it as soon as you do the cut. It worked for me. Oh, and glyphosate used with caution is quite safe.
b.

o
RE: How to kill pyrostegia venusta

Thanks, funnelweb. I'll try your solution.

BTW, glad to note you share my view of pyrostegia venusta. Looks great, but given the way it develops and its tenacity I think it should be declared a noxious weed.

Cheers
Ross

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here