Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust on Cannas

Posted by oneacrewonder Brisbane (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 9, 06 at 17:48

Hello.....I have a lovely salmon canna that has developed rust over it's leaves. Other than cutting right back, is there another way to treat this disease. I have other cannas nearby that so far are rust free soI want to do something before they also get infected?
I'm also looking for more Cannas to buy or exchange.
Thanks,
Lynnie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust on Cannas

That probably is the best way to go. Cut it back totally, remove any leaves on the ground, wrap it and dispose of it. Keep a close eye on the others. You could spray if you really want to. There are various products readily available in garden centres and nurseries. Cutting back is cheaper and safer.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

Hi Lynnie and many welcomes: There are a lot of technical problems with this web site at present so we cant email members from our "My Page ".

I would just try wipeing the rust off or have a look at the link below it states that rust is caused by over moist soil. I have never had rust, but then I dont water my canna's very much the ones near the side of the house just live on rain water or what I throw on them like the water I have rinsed the hand washing in. Around near the bird bath they get more but not a lot more.

I have a few different Canna's you are quite welcome to some of the rhizomes I do not need anything in exchange if you want any from the pic below email me at ( m_m_24@aanet.com.au ) Cheers..MM.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Rust on Canna Lily

o

Thanks Dee & Mistymorn....I think I'll try wiping them and if it continues to come back I'll just cut it back and start again - shame really as it's a great bloomer and was my very first Canna. Funnily enough I bought it from Bunnings and the others that don't have rust came from ebay??

Cheers,

Lynne

o

Canna rust, believe it is also called pawpaw rust, can be hard to eliminate.
As others suggest cut off any infected plant material, cut to the ground if need be and then destroy what you have cut off. Bury it!
Spray what remains with a combination of fungicides Kocide and Mancozeb to run off, ensuring that you cover both sides of the clean leaves and stems and right to the ground. Repeat this a week later then regularly as a preventative measure. If any rust returns cut off the material and respray.
If you just wipe the leaves clean you are only spreading the rust spores. When flowering stems are finished cut them off at ground level so that the clump is kept fairly open.
Agree with others that humid or wet condiions are conducive to rust attack but some cannas (Canna glauca) are good marginal or pond plants.
Regards and good fortune
Me

o

Once again this year my canna lilies have developed leaf rust. The lilies have only had flowers on them for perhaps 1 month. Last year I cut all the disease plants down to the ground, disposed of the leaves properly, and I think I did spray them with a fungiside.

What can I do now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here