Return to the Cornucopia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Globe Artichoke Harvesting

Posted by berry Southern Highlands (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 19:26

Hello everyone
For the second time I think I have misjudged my globe artichokes as to when they are ready to pick. All the photos I could find show them as darker green and even quite purple on the tips.
Mine are just a light green and seem to start opening up without looking ready.
Hoping someone can advise me as to pick them anyway while they are still closed or partly open?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Globe Artichoke Harvesting

Berry,

had the same problem myself for the first couple of years, but learned that you need to harvest them just before the bracts open...don't worry about colour (you're probably growing "Green Globe" as distinct from "Purple Globe"), or size (From Qld DPI: "A cool climate is required for the globe artichoke, but the plant may be damaged by very low temperatures. During hot and dry weather, the flower buds tend to open prematurely, reducing the quality of the edible portion. The best climate for the plant is a mild winter and a cool, moist summer.")

Just take the top one first then the others as they mature... I suspect your plants aren't very old, 'cause the fruit become larger and more prolific as the plant gets older...

Have a look at this site and scroll down to "Harvest"...

Regards,
Shax

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest

o

Hi Shax
Thank you for the artichoke website. Certainly removed much of the mystery. Had not been able to find one as good as that myself.
Judging by the photos, I just may be in time to take the largest one (at the top - as you suggested).
Appreciate your help.

o

How do I deal with/prevent earwigs,worms,etc from invading the artichokes and how can I rid them at harvest time?

Thanks for any info you may be able to share...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cornucopia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here