Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnes_wa

Jaboticaba

agnes_wa
18 years ago

I have procured myself one of these delightful trees. I am not sure how to give it the best tlc - should I treat it similar as citrus - ie heavy feeding?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (14)

• gardenlen
    18 years ago

g'day agnes,

might be best if you do a search and look for their ideal growing conditions, and try and emulate that. i have the small leaf and large leaf variety growing (i think they said the large leaf one crops twice a year) mine are in sandy loam and heavily mulched have been given some wee water and compost tea, didn't seem to make much difference to them.

ours where bought as small plants the 1 small leaf plant was about 6"s tall and is now after 3+ years nearly twice that height so we are not holding our breath for its fruit anytime soon. the 2 large leaf ones where about 18"s tall wne bought and are around 24"s now again not hoping for fruit any day now. got a friend down the road said he waited for 15 years for his to fruit. not sure if grafting a fruit bearing bud/stock to a young plant would help like it does in say mangoes and avacados etc.,?

they don't appear to like the cold we get at winter so may do very much better in more tropical humid conditions further north.

len

mail len

lens garden page

• nicefrog
    18 years ago

Louis Glowinskis tree in Melbourne is 20+ years old, huge and had it's first fruit this year (one fruit). They say it tastes almost exactly the same as a grape which you could have fruit in a couple of years and get a bucket full off each vine in just a few years, something to think about while you wait for that Jaboticaba to grow, mines 3 feet tall and I get like 6 inches a year out if it at the most but I expect you can do much better than that in Perth where it's alot wamer

• Dutchie
    18 years ago

I have read that they fruit in 7 years, mine fruits 3-4 times a year and last time it did, fruit was so abundant that I could fill a bucket from just 1 branch. This was the first time that I let fruit drop on the ground as my freezer was full of bags of fruit.My tree is 13 years old and was 1 metre when I planted it.It gets some fertiliser when I think of it.

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks all. I will see how it travels. Yes, perhaps a seedless grape would be far more productive. The plant I put in is about 1 m tall, so I have high hopes for it.

Cheers,
    Aggie

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

For anyone in Queensland who may be interested, muscadines (a cousin to the grape) do better than grapes in the warmer, more humid climes, being native to southeastern US - and they'll fruit a lot faster than jaboticaba!

• gardenlen
    18 years ago

ok raymondo,

you've wetted our appetites tell us more about these things called muscadines????

len

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Same genus as the grape, just a different species. They look very similar. Muscadines tend to be more vigorous than grapes, the fruit is very similar in appearance and taste though they tend to form bunches of only 3 or four fruits, unlike grapes. Some varieties are self-fertile, others are not. They grow readily from seed and cutting. Daleys lists one. Have a look at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Muscadine

• goldhills
    18 years ago

Hi
    I found this info on Jaboticaba ages ago but I have no idea where. I saved it for my own use so didn't bother keeping a record of where it came from. I don't know if it will help as it is mainly about the yellow form.

YELLOW JABOTICABA, Myciaria glomurata
    The Exotic fruit special for this month is the Yellow Jaboticaba. We consider this tree a showpiece. Its lime green leaves have an unusual soft, almost powdery appearance and its beautiful golden green pendulous branches make it a worthy feature in the garden for its highly ornamental nature.

The fruit of the black jaboticaba is becoming more popular and widespread while the yellow jaboticaba still remains a mystery to many.
    A prerequisite for enjoying the fruits of the Black Jaboticaba is patience. They can often take 6-7 years to come to fruit. However, we have found the Yellow Jabot produce fruit in as little as 3 years.
    It is a small bushy tree, usually growing to 3-4m in the subtropics of Australia, however I have seen photographs of the tree, in Brazil (its place of origin), with a couple of young boys perched high in the branches. These trees must have reached 9-10 m tall. The tree has a moderate cold tolerance but is best protected from frost. It is a suitable container grown tree in those areas that do receive frost and can be moved to a sheltered position during the cooler months.
    They are happy in full sun or part shade and are generally small enough to find a place in most gardens. They are relatively wind tolerant but will not enjoy salt spray. They particularly enjoy deep rich soil pH 5.5 to 6.5 but with regular nutrient application can be grown in most soil types.

While the fruits have some similarities to the Black Jaboticaba, they are quite different in appearance, having a slightly furry yellow skin instead of the smooth shiny black skin. The fruit contains a gelatinous whitish pulp which has a pleasant, sweet tangy flavour reminensint of pineapple. A single tree will produce fruit, but cross pollination has shown to increase productivity.

When planting a jaboticaba, the crown (uppermost) roots should be 2 to 3 inches higher than the surrounding soil levels to provide water runoff. Peat, compost or rotted manure may be mixed with the soil from the planting hole to improve it. The soil should be a well-aerated mixture.

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks very much goldhills. I ended up asking the nursery I purchased from - they planted one and got fruit within the 2nd year. So fingers crossed.

• gardenlen
    18 years ago

thanks raymondo,

got the link saved i knew i had asked a question about something somewhere but oldtimers prevented me remembering in which thread lol.

len

• florial
    18 years ago

Am curious to know what soil type Dutchie has for the jaboticaba?? my tree produced 3 fruit last year (I waited 10 yrs)and some creature knobbled them-- this year i've just picked 3 (today); a couple of branches have flowers;it certainly wont be bucketsful. My soil doesnt seem to hold water and the prime soil I buy is worse.Now a scrub turkey has taken a liking for scratching up any mulch- as well as anything else- i use. The neighbouring property is 'wilderness' style,where i suspect the turkey nests, but prefers my side for fossicking. Will also look into locating a source of the Muscadine in S/E Qld.

• wicky_Aus
    18 years ago

mmmmmmmmmm.......Scrub turkey and Jaboticaba sauce:)

• goldhills
    18 years ago

Don't forget the bananas.

In case anyone is wondering about the bananas, check out earlier thread from other forum about scrub turkey eating my bananas :)

• JasonsFigs
    10 years ago

Hello

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with rooting cuttings or Air layering Jaboticaba????

If you have can you please post some photos?

At the moment I have one air layer on my Large Leaf Jaboticaba (Black)

I also have 3 cuttings in an AquaPonic propagator.

I have done some searching around online most websites that I visited said is has been done both cuttings and air layering but have not seen any photos as proof.

Thank you