Return to the Cornucopia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornamental Chilli

Posted by Carol_AF N Qld (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 0:19

Does anyone know if the fruit of ornamental chillies are edible?

Most chillies that I am familiar with are annuals. These are perenniel bushes covered in very small red fruits. I have been told that they are the very hot chilli, but I would like confirmation that they are edible before using any in cooking.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornamental Chilli

Hi Carol,
I've been told that all chillis are edible.In Aust most chillis are annuals due to our cold winters

o

You can easily overwinter chillies. Just protect them from the cold (frost) in winter. I have most of my chillies in pots that I put in my unheated greenhouse. In spring I put them outside so that they can enjoy the sun and heat again.

Some of the plants are now already 2-3 years old. :)

Sorry, can't help you with your original question about edibility.

o

Many thanks for your replies.

I previously lived in southern NSW, hence I'm used to chilli plants acting more like annuals come winter. I now live in tropical Queensland (love the climate!). The plants are doing fine outdoors.

What confused me was a local nursery selling chilli plants labelled as ornamentals, which I recognised as the bushes growing in my garden. I did a Hortiplex search before my original post to this forum and the chilli plants came up as Capsicum annum, with numerous cultivars. Between this and your replies I feel certain that they will be safe to eat.

o

I don't know of any which aren't edible.

o

I treat all my chillies and capsicums as perennials. I have one chilli (Purple Pride from Eden Seeds) that will be 4 years old in Spring. It is covered in fruit and looking healthy and strong. It spent its first year in a pot but has been in the same spot more than two years now. We even had a genuine frost in Perth this winter but two eggplants and all my chillies made it no problems. Not sure what I am doing right. Good healthy soil, nice northerly aspect and regular weak doses of seaweed fertiliser perhaps?

As for edible ornamentals, I treat all my chillies as ornamentals too! I love the look of them. I am sure the "ornamental" varieties are safe to eat. But even though I love hot chillies, those little ones are nasty little buggers and often too hot for practical use.

o

Correction: Purple Delight from Eden Seeds.

o

i too have bought an ornamental chillie plant and it had a tug that said not to be consumed.. i also have a normal chillie plant but since moving i have mixed up which one is which and so also would like to know if the ornamental one can be eaten? perhaps they have no flavour??

o

The ornamental chilies I have turned out to be Bird's Eye Chillies. Very, very hot but edible. I use them in cooking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cornucopia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here