Return to the Cornucopia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Persimmon variety?

Posted by shepparton Centr Vic Austr (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 19, 06 at 2:04

Been a fan of persimmons for a while and planted a "Fuyu" when non astringents became available. It seems to me that although it is sweet when hard, it loses out in a certain "something" in comparison to the old astringent varieties I remember when it goes soft. Incidentally, I love persimmons when they get to the "apricot jam" stage.

So, my question to all you aficionadoes out there is....

What do you think is the best ASTRINGENT variety available in Australia and clues on where to get it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Persimmon variety?

Well, Shep (sorry to be so familiar!),
I'm no afficianado of the fruit, although I used to have a 3-wood in my golf bag made from persimmon timber, and as a child I remember climbing a neighbour's huge persimmon tree and chucking the fruit at passers-by from a great height....

Here's a site that probably has more information than you need...scroll down to "Varieties".
There is also a list of contacts at the end of the article.

Regards,

Shax

Here is a link that might be useful: Persimmons

o

Hi I have 2 Fuyus about 12 years old and with lots of water and feeding produce the most beautiful crops...like an apricot apple when crisp and like apricot persimmon sweet jam when soft....only birds are a problem with the non astringent...gotta love them!!!!

o

Shep, I am totally in agreement. The non-astringent is just not as good! Although - I remember as a kid being really really super -duper sure that it was perfectly ripe before I ate them so as to avoid that awful puckering from the astringent varieties. I can't even find those varieties in the store anymore now, so I'm going to follow shaxhome's advice too. Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cornucopia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here