Return to the Cornucopia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of Plum?

Posted by nettlerose Canberra ACT (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 3:09

I want to put in a plum tree but don't know much about varieties or if you need one or two. I want one that is a good eating one straight off the tree, not a bottling or dessert plum if possible. My kids will only eat the sweeter ones rather than the very sour. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Thanks
Eve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of Plum?

• Posted by pepino Werribee Vic (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 16:51

Hi Eve
I've got a couple of types, some of which are unnamed, but the best for sweetness would have to be Mariposa. It has a sweet skin as well as interior. I have another which I don't know the variety. It has a deliciously sweet flesh (sweeter than Mariposa) but a bitter skin. The Angelina plum fruited for the first time this year and was quite good. Perhaps with age it will improve.

I remember as a youngster, at our old place, there used to be the cherry-plums on the nature strips. Not sure of their exact name but they had red leaves and looked quite spectacular. The fruit was very nice. Almost tastes like a cherry.

Hope I was of some help.

o

Thanks for the tip on the Mariposa pepino. I know the red leaved plums you are referring to. We have two of them out the front, and the kids do like to eat the fruit even though we don't get too many due to the lack of water I think. I did not think they were edible at first until the kids started eating them, much to my horror, then I realised they were okay.

o

Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 19:58

Funny you say that. We didn't think they were edible as youngsters either. Don't know why we tried them initially; probably a dare. I noticed the trees don't have as much as they did years ago too. At the end of the season the road, nature strip and footpaths would all be red from the fallen fruit. You don't see that anymore.

Also some plums propagate easily from cuttings and others it is near impossible. You may wish to experiment. I had no success with Mariposa.

o

Are the Mariposa plums yellow or red on the inside? As a kid, we had a plum tree in the backyard that yielded these delicious dark red-fleshed plums. Sweet and juicy! No idea what they were now. They were planted by my grandfather who died even before I was born.

o

Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 22:45

I really should know but I can't remember. I think they're red on the inside. The other unnamed one we have which is really juicy, but sour skin, is red on the inside. Perhaps it is the same variety. I know that this juicy one propagates very easily, so come winter time I will have cuttings if anyone is interested.

o

Okay, you're on Pepino. One bare rooted muscadine for a plum cutting. Would it be alright to pot the cutting up, and plant it out the following year? How well will a plum cope with being in a pot for a year or two?

o

Thu, Mar 10, 05 at 17:39

Sure, I can send you some cuttings. It will cope fine for a couple of years. I have mine in pots and this is their second year. They're doing fine. When I repotted them at the end of last winter (1 yr old) I found they had hardly any roots at all, but had struck as the growth was in the vicinity of 40cm(16inch). They are currently in (roughly) 10lt pots in poor soil. The only problem I have is with caterpillars.

I've got another which should strike fairly easily. It is a dark purple with yellow flesh. Very meaty. It was from a work colleague of my father's who used the variety to make Schnapps. I can organise a couple of cuttings in winter.

o

Hi All

Do you realise that you need a pollinator for the Mariposa plum, so you will need another Japanese Plum such as Santa Rosa.

Angelina is a European plum and will need another european plum for pollination.

see the following for pollinators

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollinators

o

We had delicious yellow plums in our garden in the UK when I was a kid, unfortunately my totally non gardening father manged to kill them, along with the redcurrants, gooseberries & raspberries!
Are you going to have gooseberries Ray?
Sarah * thinking it will be great visiting Ray & Adam in a couple of years time*

o

The local organic guy was singing the praises of some Stirling plums on Friday. Plums don't do a lot for me, thanks to the annual glut from Mum's Satsuma. Satsuma is another red skin and flesh variety. Very large, sweet plums, good fresh, bottled or as jam. It's a very heavy cropper. I'm not sure about pollinators. Mum's seems overly productive with whatever pollen the neighbourhood has on offer. I found some greengage plums in the local market last week. Fantastic - and this from a someone very ambivalent about plums. If my climate was right, these would be the pick. Sweet skin and flesh. Came from Mildura.
Danielle

o

Thanks everyone for the advice and the tip on pollinators. Will start thinking about where to put it now, I was undecided between two spots. Now that I need a pollinaor, I can plant one in each and solve the problem. :)

o

As for pollinators, you need two sets of flowers, but you can have two plums grafted onto the same rootstock. I have a satsuma and santa rosa on the same rootstock.

o

I have seen trees like that advertised by the Fruit Salad Company mercury. Certainly solves the space problem. Do you find that one variety starts to dominate or does it depend on how the tree is pruned.

o

With my dual grafted cherry there is definitely one type that is larger and more prolific than the other. With my santa rosa and satsuma dual graft. I have tried to prune them to the same shape. I will have to see how the plums fair

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cornucopia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here