Return to the Cornucopia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paw paw seeds

Posted by popi NSW Aust (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 22:00

I have just eaten a lovely pawpaw, if I keep the seeds, will they germinate ? Should I let them dry out before sowing them ?

I live near Sydney.

Thanks people.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paw paw seeds

Hi Popi..It could be too late to try growing by seed,
Also the climate may be a bit on the cool side.
Have a look at the link below it may help....Cheers..MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: DPI Qld. Paw -Paw

o

A really useful thing to do with paw paw seeds is dry them out then put them into a pepper mill and use them as a seasoning. They will help to tenderise meat as well as be very useful for anyone who has allergies like hay fever or asthma.

o

the only thing popi,

and not sure waht the dpi page says but if it was the yellow fruit they tend to sprout more male trees than female trees, so you amy need to grow 10 or 20 seedling then wait until they flower to see if you have any female trees then cut nearly all the amle trees out, they shred well through the shgredder and make top mulch additive.

lightly rinse the seeds then dry them then plant them best way i seed per say 7" pot and transplant when they look strong enough, best done early in the seaon so they get plenty of growth going before winter comes, they don't like frost when they are under about 2 meters tall.

might be best to buy a red pawpaw they all sprout bi-sexual trees and the fruit is supposed to be just as nice, they will cross pollinate with the yellows readily so if you get fruit for the seed you need to remember that.

they sell supposedly bi-sexual yellosw at nurseries but my information when i bought one that was a male was they can only guarantee 20% chance that you will get a proper bi-sexuals or female tree.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cornucopia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here