Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cosmicgardener

Tomato Ketchup

cosmicgardener
18 years ago

Does anyone have a recipe for tomato sauce that will pass the grandies' conoisseurs of ketchup test? i.e. - it must be like 'bought' stuff and the 'right' colour!!!!

Cheers

Linda

Comments (13)

• ashmeri
    18 years ago

Hope you like this one.

Tomato Sauce....
    Skin and cut up 6lbs. ripe tomatoes
    1 lb. onions
    t tablespoon garlic
    into a saucepan
    simmer gently for 2 hours
    rub through sieve
    add one pint vinegar
    2 tablespoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

tye in muslin bag 1 oz. ginger, and 12 cloves
    and add to pan
    Boil slowly for half and hour.
    Cool, bottle , cork and seal.

I often make this and it tastes good to my Son in Law who is a tomato sauce freak, for want of a better name for someone who even puts tom sauce on fried eggs, yuk
    Marion

• halinka
    18 years ago

Linda, I've never made this recipe but have found all Beverley-Sutherland-Smith's recipes are excellent (she used to write for the Age).

Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)
    (She states at the begining: Home-made tom sauce is very different; it has more texture and is not quite as sweet. Apart from the obvious uses with meat, a little can be added to casseroles or marinades and you can use it as a glaze, brushing some over meat as it roasts.)
    It may not be what you are after but here goes:

2kg ripe tomatoes
    5 medium-sized white onions, finely diced
    1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon salt
    6 cloves
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 cups white wine vinegar

Chop toms roughly, no need to peel or seed them as the mixture will be sieved. Place in a heavy-based saucepan with the onions, garlic, salt, cloves, black pepper and cayenne pepper and simmer very gently for about 1 hour or until the tomatoes are quite soft.
    Add the sugar and vinegar and cook again until the mixture thickens.
    Put the mixture through a sieve or a moulin; don't use a blender or food processor. If the pulp is too thin, return to the saucepan and cook until reduced so that it very lightly coats a spoon. The thickness is a matter of personal taste.
    Bottle while warm into hot, sterilised bottles and seal.
    Makes 8 to 9 cups
    Preserve in bottles with plastic-coated screw-on lids or corks. Store in a cool, dark cupboard. Tom Sauce keeps well for 12 months.

Hope this is helpful. Chao,
    Halina

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Thanks Halina,
    But how much sugar ;)
    I like tomato sauce of scrambled eggs.
    Best, Grub

• halinka
    18 years ago

Woops! Sorry, Grub. You need 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 2 cups of white wine vinegar, not 1 1/2. I've double checked everything else and I got the rest right! It's very similar to Ashmeri's recipe. Hope you like it.
    Halina

• warped
    18 years ago

My Nan and Mum makes this one

10lb Tomatoes
    2-4 Cooking Apples
    2 Large Onions
    2lb Sugar
    ½ teaspoon of pepper
    1 tablespoon of mixed spice
    5 dessertspoons of salt
    2 cups vinegar

Boil for two hours
    Put through colander or put in blender & let stand over night
    Boil fast for ½ hr or until thick

• cosmicgardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow - thanks for those recipes - I should be able to make something suitable. If not, they will have to eat worms.....

L

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

...as long as you grill them first. Tasty snack! ;)

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

I just make the Ezy Sauce recipe that is on the bottle. The only difference is that I put in about a kilo of pumkin which helps thicken and smooth the sauce. I bamix the lot and then sieve it to get out any skins and seeds.
    Manits

• goodlife
    18 years ago

This one might be a bit on the adult side but no recipe is written in stone so play about with it. I have made it (omiting the red pepper) and it was delicious.
    3kg ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
    4 onions, sliced
    1 large red pepper, seeds and white membrane removed, chopped.
    100g soft brown sugar
    200ml cider vinegar
    1/4 tsp dry mustard
    a piece of cinnamon stick
    1and1/2tsp each of whole allspice,whole cloves, ground mace,celary seeds,black peppercorns.
    1 bay leaf
    1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed.
    paprika to taste (optional)
    salt to taste.
    Combine the tomatoes, onions and red pepper in a large heavy pan over a medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, untill very soft. Push through a coarse-meshed sieve and return to the pot with the sugar, vinegar and mustard. Tie the cinnamon,allspice,cloves,mace,celery seds,black pepper,bay leaf and garlic in a square of muslin and drop it into the brew.Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a slow simmer. Cook, allowing it ot bubble gently, stirring often and carefully, for 20-40mins. It should be thick and pulpy. Season to taste.

My grandies ate it without comment which I take to be an accolade!!

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

You reminded me, I too have been putting some red peppers in the mix. Gives the sauce a nice little kick.

• halinka
    18 years ago

Linda I made the Beverley Sutherland-Smith tom sauce recipe last night and it was not a lovely red colour, it was a little brown, so it may not be what you had in mind. I substituted chilli flakes for cayene as I didn't have any and I put in a fair bit as I like it. Also ran out of white wine vinegar and substituted a little red wine vinegar, which may have adulterated the colour. The only pain was pushing it through a sieve. I ended up putting the pulp, etc. through the blender before I sieved it and that did help. I found it was a thick consistency and tasted quite nice but doesn't make very much. Think I'll test one of the other delicious sounding recipes to see if they're better.
    Halina

• cosmicgardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I ended up using Goodlife's recipe modified it to use 4 kg tomatoes and instead of red pepper a red capsicum . I added 1 kg granny smith apples, left out the mustard and allspice, but otherwise kept to the recipe ( ah yes, a tsp tandoori spice instead of paprika)

{{gwi:2113888}}

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Looking good.