Return to the Cacti in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I transplant a succulent (agave, I think!)

Posted by allyak Victoria (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 22:13

Hi there,

I've just moved into a new house, and am looking to transplant an existing large succulent. I think it's an agave, but am not sure.

Here's a photo of it:

http://bit.ly/czbxSn

It's about 85 cm tall.

Is this an agave? How would I go about transplanting this? Can I grow it in a pot? Is it possible to cut the stem shorter in the process?

It's such an amazing plant and I don't want to inadvertently kill it, so your collective advice and wisdom is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I transplant a succulent (agave, I think!)

Yes it's an Agave, maybe A attenuata?

It looks great, if a bit "leggy". It also looks to be right at the edge of a fairly shallow garden bed, so I'm thinking the root system won't go down forever, just find your preferred new spot. Dig it up leaving as much of the existing root-ball as you can, and when planting it (somewhere free-draining) just backfill with some good draining material. Sort of shake it in to settle it rather than watering it in copiously - you could add a little seasol or similar to help against transplant shock. then basically leave it and don't coddle it too much.
OR if you have the courage to do it, just cut the top stem off, rest it somewhere in shade for a couple of days for the wounded stem to "heel over" a bit, dust it in rooting hormone, and try striking it again - perhaps in a big pot, and with some cactus mix or a gravel mix - nothing too wet.
You may loose some bottom leaves but if lucky it'll strike.
Save the rooted but and put elsewhere and you might find it'll throw some babies off the side.
OR OR you could go ask in the US forums.... for cacti etc

o
RE: How do I transplant a succulent (agave, I think!)

Yes it's attenuata.

Cut it off maybe 15cm below the head and just leave it wherever you want it to grow, they're very tough and easily root.

If you leave the stem in place you should definately get more plantlets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here